Tuesday, July 21, 2020

CHURCH FOR SALE


CHURCH FOR SALE

How can you sell a church? Didn’t Jesus say that He would build His church and that the gates of hell, i.e., the gates of hades, would not prevail against it? Yet, I was saddened to see a church I had attended as a schoolboy while growing up in Scotland has a “for sale” sign on it. How can this be?
Jamestown Primary School & Jamestown Parish Church
I set off into the world from Scotland just before my 21st birthday way back in 1977. Occasionally I return to my hometown to visit. Invariably, while back, I head for Balloch, (at the southern end of beautiful Loch Lomond), the place where I grew up. There are two Church of Scotland churches there, (three, if you count the one further down river, i.e., the River Leven), at Bonhill. One we called the “White Church” and the other “Jamestown Parish”. It’s the Jamestown Parish Church that’s sadly up for sale.
I attended Jamestown Primary School, which was next door to the church. It was constructed of the same red sandstone as the church’s, all hewn, as my dad many years ago told me, from a local quarry up the Auchencarroch. The sandstone had been transported by horse and cart.
The following is a little bit of history regarding the building of Jamestown Parish Church,

It was arranged that the foundation-stone of the church be laid with Masonic honours in addition to the religious ceremony, and on 17th October 1868, this was duly accomplished. The Rev. John Alison, the minister at Bonhill, conducted the religious ceremony, while R.W.M. Ross of Dumbarton, in the absence of P.G.M. Alexander Smollett through illness, carried through the Masonic ceremony.
A glass jar was deposited in the cavity of the foundation-stone, and in it were placed the following articles:- A copy of the “Glasgow Herald”, containing an account of the laying of the foundation-stone of Glasgow University; the “Daily Mail and Dumbarton Herald”; the “Missionary Record” of the Church of Scotland; the “Illustrated London News”; abstract Accounts of Bonhill Parochial Board; the Statistical Account of the Parish of Bonhill; and an account of the proceedings in connection with the erection of the church. Along with these papers and documents there was placed a specimen of the Turkey Red manufacture of Levenbank Works.[1]

The "White Church"
The words, “the foundation-stone of the church be laid with Masonic honours in addition to the religious ceremony” will immediately stand out to the eye of any discerning Christian reading this. “Masonic honours”? What do these have to do with Christ’s church? There are “stonemasons” and then there are “speculative masons”. The foundation-stone layers are of the latter kind of masons.
I wrote a book, published by Nordskog Publishing Inc., called From Mason To Minister.[2] Among other things, the book tracks my geographical journey as well as my philosophical, and spiritual journeys. I became a Mason, i.e., a speculative mason, aka, Freemason, in 1986 in Manitoba, Canada. I had been searching for meaning in my life, which became a quest for truth, and then a cry to God. I had thought that maybe God could be found hiding in the Masonic Lodge.
Though I had attended church on occasion with Jamestown Primary School, and subsequently with the 1st Jamestown Boys’ Brigade, I had been more interested in counting the church’s big organ pipes, than listening to any of the preacher’s sermons! The Bible was read in a language that was foreign to me (i.e, the King James’ Version), and I never had any idea what the preacher was going on about! Sure, that may have been my own problem. Or was it?
I was ordained as a minister of the Presbyterian Church of Australia in 1998. You see, when I had been attending the Masonic Lodge in Manitoba, I had been given an award for some papers I had written and presented on Freemasonry. Part of the award was a Bible, albeit a Masonic Bible, (which was simply a complete King James Bible with some masonic material as a preface to its contents). With the Bible in one hand and a dictionary in the other, I read the Book I had been given in 1988 through which I was converted by God! His Spirit had worked with His Word in my heart, especially the verse which says, “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” John 14:6.
I had learned through Freemasonry that we shared the masonic altar equally with Muslims, Jews, and various other religions. However, here was Jesus Christ making an extraordinary claim of exclusivity! Don’t miss it: Jesus is saying that Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, Atheists, you name it, must go through Him if they want to get to God! Yet, the organisation that the ones who had laid the foundation stone of the beautiful red sandstone of Jamestown Parish Church taught that there are other ways to get to God, i.e., without Jesus Christ. Yet, Jesus, speaking of Himself said, “Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?” Matthew 21:42.
I'll let you be the judge as to whether Jesus, “The stone which the builders rejected” is also being rejected by the organisation the Jamestown Parish Church foundation-stone layers belonged to. But know this, to reject Jesus’ teaching is to reject Him. For Jesus says, “Whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when He comes in His glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.” Luke 9:26. Yes, words matter, especially the words of Jesus.
Jesus says to Christians, to His church, “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.” Matthew 5:13.
There is a church for sale. Why? Could it be that the Church of Scotland has lost its saltiness? On the occasions I visited Jamestown Parish Church and the “White Church” when back on holiday, I did not hear the Gospel, i.e., the Good News of Jesus Christ, proclaimed from the pulpits. I was looking for bread but was given only stones from the theological liberals who occupied the pulpits on Sunday.
Church with "for sale" sign
Sure, pep-talks and motivational speeches, even with some Bible allusions thrown in, like the ones I heard, may help some people to get through their week or through life, but they are not the Gospel! How are these wee pious spiels supposed help Christ’s church prevail against the very gates of hell? Granted I only attended a couple of services here and there while back on holiday. Therefore, I was unable to gather much intelligence on the state of Jamestown Parish Church. But it is up for sale. Little wonder.
The good news? The church is not the building. It’s the people who gathered in the building. Speculative Masonry and Theological Liberalism may have had a negative impact on Jamestown Parish Church, but, “The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes” and Jesus said, “I will build My church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” Therefore, be encouraged!
Jesus lived, died, was resurrected, and was taken up to glory that sinners could be forgiven all their sins and receive everlasting life. Therefore, trust Jesus and His words.
And, for the record, I cut my ties with Freemasonry when I left Canada to settle in Australia in 1990. Also, the Presbyterian Church of Australia, to which I belong, though descended from the Church of Scotland, officially cut its ties too with Freemasonry during the 1980s.



[1] Malcolm B. MacGregor, Jamestown Parish Church 1869-1934, Printed at the Herald Office, Church Street, Dumbarton, 1934. http://www.valeofleven.org.uk/docs/JamestownParishChurch.pdf
[2] From Mason To Minister: Through the Lattice, Nordskog Publishing Inc, Ventura, California, 2011. https://www.nordskogpublishing.com/product/from-mason-to-minister-through-the-lattice/

No comments:

Post a Comment