Monday, October 5, 2026

ENDING SOON

 Ending Soon

Image from Web
        Some people think that the world is ending soon. Some Christians sects have been teaching that ‘it’s a minute to midnight’ for nigh on two hundred years! ‘The Great Disappointment’ refers to an event on 22nd October 1844 when thousands of Christians gathered to watch the skies for the supposed immanent return of Jesus Christ. They’re still at it! Books, television shows and movies have been made to promote this idea. However, Jesus says, “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father” (Mark 13:32). Yes, we struggle to understand how even the Son did not know the date of His return, much in the same way we wrestle with His words to His Father in the shadow of the cross, ‘Not as I will, but as You will’ (Matt. 26:39b).

‘The Word was God … and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us’ (John 1:1b, 14a). The Godman is going to return from the place He ascended to after His resurrection to dwell among His redeemed people on the redeemed planet Earth. However, no one knows when. So, why the confusion? Jesus was addressing His immediate hearers, not some future generation, ‘Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened’ (Matt. 24:34). Typically, a generation is around forty years. Jesus accurately predicted the major event which took place some forty years later.

Image from Web
        The destruction of Jerusalem by the Roman armies climaxed with the demolition of the Temple AD 70. Therefore, those of that generation knew that things were ending soon. In simple terms, God’s removal of the Temple was the end of the Old Testament way of doing things and the transition to the New Testament administration. It is the difference between the old covenant and the new covenant spoken of by Jeremiah and the author of Hebrews, (Jer 31:31-34; Heb. 10:11-18). The period of transition is recorded in the Book of Acts, which is sometimes referred to as The Acts of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:16-17, ‘But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: “It shall come to pass in the last days, says God, that I will pour My Spirit on all flesh…”’ Notice the mention of ‘the last days.’ When were these last days? Again, the last days climaxed in AD 70.

But what about our own generation? When are the last days for us? Is the world ending soon? Should we be outside watching the sky? Or should we be seeking to disciple all the nations, as per the administration of the new covenant into which the non-Jewish nations are now to be included? ‘Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age’ (Matt. 28:18-20). The KJV has Jesus saying. ‘I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.’ Therefore, the end of the age and the end of the world mean the same thing.

Before He ascended to Heaven bodily, from whence He shall return bodily, Jesus said, ‘It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you’ (John 16:7). The Spirit of Christ will work through His Church on earth to disciple the nations. We still have a long way to go in this awesome endeavour. Therefore, we would not expect the word to be ending soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment