Monday, October 23, 2023

THE PHILOSOPHY OF HERMAN DOOYEWEERD (Review)

 

This book may be worthy of 5 Stars. I gave it 4 out of 5 because I wasn’t previously familiar enough with Dooyeweerd’s philosophy to fully follow this brief exposition. I mean by this that a solid understanding of Dooyeweerd, as opposed to my own cursory understanding, would be of much benefit before tackling this work. 

Yes, perhaps I was misled a little by the book’s title, thinking that it was going to supply me with a basic point by point explanation, rather than an in-depth analysis causing my brain to smoulder at times! 

As it says on the book’s back cover, “This book by D.F.M. Strauss is an excellent introduction and brief survey of Herman Dooyeweerd’s Christian, reformational, and biblical philosophy.” It is that. And I learned lots. However, someone please write the book, “Dooyeweerd for Dummies.” His philosophy is too valuable to remain hidden in the libraries and cloisters of intellectuals. We peasants need to be fed too.     

No comments:

Post a Comment