Monday, July 4, 2022

ROMANCE

                                                                    Romance

Romance is a two-way attraction. If the woman is not enamoured by the man or the man by the woman, then it is not proper romance. All wining and dining will come to naught if the affections of the one remains unmoved by the other. Yes, to enter into the realm of romance is to explore the mysterious. When does like turn into love? Is it just a physical thing? Is it spiritual? Perhaps both?

When God made mankind, He made us male and female, and commanded us to multiply (Gen. 1:26-28). Therefore, sexual attraction has been built into us by our Creator. God married the first two human beings by marching Eve down the aisle and presenting her to Adam as a comparable helper (Gen. 2:18). Adam complimented Eve by saying, ‘This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man’ (Gen, 2:23). Of course, Adam’s romantic raptures about his wife were short lived. They soon fell into sin. Adam then began blaming God and Eve for his problems (Gen. 3:12). However, like the great Counsellor He is, God poured the good oil on troubled waters by promising them a Redeemer, One that would come from their own loins (Gen. 3:15).

To me a romantic evening with my wife consists of good food complemented with fine wine and soft music. Am I on the right track?

In the most romantic Book of the Bible, Solomon and the Shulamite show us how to do romance. They pay each other poetic compliments throughout The Song of Solomon. She says of him, ‘He brought me to the banqueting house [the house of wine], and his banner over me was love. Sustain me with cakes of raisins, refresh me with apples, for I am lovesick’ (Song 3:4-5). She says, ‘Behold, you are handsome my beloved!” (Song 1:16), “May the wine go straight to my beloved, flowing gently over lips and teeth. I belong to my beloved, and his desire is for me’ (Song 7:9b-10 NIV). We wonder if this allusion to wine is a good translation, that is, until we remember that Solomon had immediately just said to his wife, the fragrance of your breath [is] like apples, and your mouth like the best wine’ (Song 7:8b-9a). Yes, now we understand why she says, ‘May the wine go straight to my beloved.’ However, let us also remember that God has given us the ‘wine that makes glad the heart of man’ (Psa. 104:15a).

The Shulamite says of her husband, ‘Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth—for your love is better than wine’ (Song 1:2). And Solomon says of his wife, ‘How fair is your love, my sister, my spouse! How much better than wine is your love’ (Song 4:10a). So, what are we to conclude? Love is better than wine! This means that a couple’s desire for each other is much stronger than any desire for wine, and, sadly, we know how addicted to wine some people can be. We must not let anything spoil the romance.

What does it all mean? Romance, as illustrated by Solomon and the Shulamite, is a picture of Christ and His Church. He overtures us, but not because we are beautiful. As the Shulamite had become ‘darkened by the sun’ (Song 1:5), so the fall has affected Christ’s bride. But she says,am dark, but lovely, O daughters of Jerusalem, like the tents of Kedar, like the curtains of Solomon’ (Song 1:6). The Shulamite’s real beauty is in Solomon's love for her. Her beauty is in her praises of him! Likewise, the beauty of Christ’s bride is in her praises of Him. And remember, ‘Do not stir up nor awaken love until it pleases’ (Song 2:7b)If romance is to work properly, it must go both ways, ‘We love Him because He first loved us’ (1 John 4:19 NKJV).     

No comments:

Post a Comment