Thursday, June 18, 2020

McKINLAYS OF DRUMIKILL

McKINLAYS OF DRUMIKILL

According to Ian Grimble Ph.D., F.R. Hist. S., (and I’d take his word for it), “...the principal stock of this name [McKinlay] belongs to the Lennox. According to the earliest account of them, given in 1723 by Buchanan of Auchmar, they sprang from a son of Buchanan of Drumikill of the name of Finlay.”
Stuart McKinlay at Drumikill


Pictured is Stuart McKinlay casting a proprietorial eye over the Drumikill estate near Drymen.

(Rob Roy attempted unsuccessfully to capture the government garrison at Drumikill.)

I owe much to the McKinlay family -

Stuart Senior was a man I admired greatly. He influenced me spiritually and politically (and any man who has rung the bell of Jamestown Parish Kirk is highly esteemed in my regard).

Fergie (Fearghas MacFhionnlaigh, the Gaelic poet), the eldest son, nursed me with encouragement, page by page, through my novel “Mightier than the Sword”.

Billy Scobie a.k.a. Alexander Tait
Stuart, I once described as the nearest person I have to a brother.

Neil (pastor and prolific author) taught me how to ride a bicycle, encouraged and promoted my various writings, and provides me with pastoral care on a regular basis.

It was through the McKinlay family that I first embraced a passion for Scottish Independence.

W. Scobie

William (Billy) Scobie writes under the pen name of Alexander Tait. His Mightier than the Sword paperback can be purchased at Neetah Books:

http://neetahbooks.com/neetahs-book-shop/4594670458/mightier-than-the-sword/11391092
https://tinyurl.com/yd5j9r7g

No comments:

Post a Comment