Monday, July 16, 2018

FLEEING SHADOWS

Fleeing Shadows

‘Until the day breaks and the shadows flee away…’ Song of Solomon 4:6a. Why do shadows turn white as sheets and flee at the mere sight of light? Open up your tent-flaps and smell the morning dew on the breath of victory, for the mouth of dawn is rejoicing in the knowledge that darkness’ head has been broken. Yes, as she pulls open the curtain, morning’s husband stretches and yawns, then flexes his muscles as he looks in the mirror of God’s creation. For, ‘He has set a tabernacle for the sun, which is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoices like a strongman to run its race.’ Psalm 19:4b-5.
‘The Sun of Righteousness shall arise with healing in His wings…’ Malachi 4:2b. Too bright to look at, all but one star is visible at dawn while the rest pale into invisibility. And, as I lift my eyes heavenward I feel His warm breath on my face as He clothes me with His righteousness. ‘Now a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a garland of twelve stars.’ Revelation 12:1.I once was a shooting star, also a wandering star, lost in the blackness of the night, on course for destruction. But all my sins have disappeared in the light of His face: ‘Through the tender mercy of our God, with which the Dayspring from on high has visited us; to give light to those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death, to guide our feet in the way of peace.’ Luke 1:78-79.
Bread of Life, give us our daily bread. Judas betrayed the Lord of Glory with a kiss, ‘Having received the piece of bread, he then went out immediately. And it was night.’ John 13:30. Why should Judas remain in chains of darkness and I should be set free? Justice and grace, both of which belong to our God ‘Who cover Yourself with light as a garment, Who stretch out the heavens as a curtain.’ Psalm 104:2. Why He chose to rescue me I do not know, but, in the words of another man who was blind from birth, ‘One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see.’ John 9:25b. ‘Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God alone who is wise, be honour and glory forever and ever. Amen.’ 1 Timothy 1:17.
Thanks be to God, ‘Mercy and truth have met together; righteousness and peace have kissed. Truth shall spring out of the earth, and righteousness shall look down from heaven.’ Psalm 85:10-11. Yes, ‘THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS’ kissed the earth at His incarnation, and has left it wet with early morning dew! On my early morning walk I pass friendly faces wishing me good morning. Morning walkers are far friendlier than night stalkers! As a Christian soldier without shame I march with the song of salvation in my heart, singing as ‘When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy.’ Job 38:7. For, the LORD has said, ‘Behold, I lay in Zion a chief cornerstone, elect, precious, and he who believes in Him will by no means be put to shame.’ 1 Peter 2:6. I cry out with the man who cried out and said with tears, ‘Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!’ Mark 9:24b.
Lord, you breathed on Your disciples and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit.’ John 20:22b. My every breath is in Your hand. I breathe because You breathe. When my eyes close for the last time and my last breath goes upward will I be drawn into Your bosom? Your sheep hear Your voice and follow You, and of them You say, ‘I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.’ John 10:28. With David, the sweet psalmist, I say, ‘As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness.’ Psalm 17:15.
As High Priest He Jesus Christ offered up Himself as the perfect sacrifice. You did not leave His soul in Sheol, nor did Your Holy One see corruption. You caused the shadows to flee by raising the Light of the World from the dead, striking the darkness with a fatal blow to the head. Now the shadows have nowhere to flee. ‘Indeed the darkness shall not hide from You, but the night shines as the day; the darkness and the light are both alike to You.’ Psalm 139:12.
Dear Christian, ‘For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is the light. Therefore He says: Awake, you who sleep, arise from the dead, and Christ will give you light.’ Ephesians 5:8-14.


No comments:

Post a Comment